Travel Day to DR
The day started before the sun came up which should be illegal on spring break. We were told to meet in commons 2 at 5 am. I rushed back to campus because of course I procrastinated and made my brother drop me off. There was no reason to even attempt to sleep because of day lights saving. It went from 2 am to 3 am real quick. So I get to the parking lot of Commons 2, and look over my shoulder to see Mara. We walk up to Commons 2 and Jovany opens the door. My excitement changed to bitterness when we reached Nike room and she stated that the shuttle would not be here until 6 am. At 5:45 am, we walked to Mowatt garage to meet the shuttle. I learned that is not smart to travel on day lights savings day because our shuttle driver arrived at 7 am. That was exactly an hour late so luckily he did not lose an hour of sleep. I had not gotten any sleep at this moment so i literally passed out on the back of the bus and woke up at Dulles. Airports are so interesting to me. I love that there are people coming and people going. We left to DR to experience culture and serve. While someone else might be coming to Dulles to do the same. We get through security and take the Dulles metro to gate B72. This was a long walk past a lot of very good food options but i chose to get an egg and cheese bagel. It was time to board and the plane was so little. The first part of the journey has commenced and we were on to bigger and better things aka JFK. Did you know... JFK is currently the busiest airport in the United States and serves about 160,000 people per day. That is a lot of people. Our layover was filled with charging electronics and over priced tiny burgers. Shake Shack you should make your burgers bigger and why is a milkshake $6 dollars, that is almost a bowl from chipotle. We got switched to gate B25 and boarded the normal sized plane to Santiago, DR. We arrive in Santiago to the sound of the passengers clapping to the safe landing. At this moment, I was overwhelmed by the beauty of the DR. This is my first time here and I just loved to see the lushness of the landscape. We get through the security to find a 15 passenger van with this little storage unit behind it. The weather was beautiful while we watched our luggage being loaded. The sky was a variety of grays that reflected the lush greenery with the perfect tropical breeze. It was amazing to see all of this right off the plane. Finally, skip forward to arriving at the villa, it is amazing. I literally feel like a TV show could be filmed here. There are so many balconies and a pool also the view is priceless. I cant wait for the morning to see the greenery again before we start our first volunteer day with DReam.
No comments:
Post a Comment