Hello! This was a very exciting and heartfelt day. All of us got up at around 7am and headed to do service for Project Las Americas. First, Thelma taught all the kids and DREAM team members how to dance. Try as I may, I just could not get those moves down! :( After dancing, we all split up and played various games with the kids. Some of us played volleyball, and some of us played basketball. I went on my own and joined some kids in for Frisbee. It was good practice for the ultimate Frisbee game that soon followed. Although I did not contribute much in the game, I still felt that I established a connection with the Frisbee throwers even though I could not speak their language.
Initially, I felt sorry for the kids in the program. How can they live in these conditions? However, I was soon reminded that I should not 'look down' on these kids. In some ways they have a better situation than I do. For example, I could tell that the kids with the Frisbee were very close. Not just them, the kids in general were really good friends with each other. A couple of days ago, a teacher explained to me that people who go through the public school program are 'lost' when they exit middle school. What I mean by lost is that they don't check up on the students' progress after they leave the program. I don't know if it's because of limited resources or another reason. But my opinion is that the teachers should find a way to check up on the students' progress after they leave the program. That way they can adjust some parts of the program if needed.
- Kevin Gima
No comments:
Post a Comment